Resources to Help You Start Fresh
Each of us has a unique story and a different reason for why we might want to start fresh. Whether you’re picking up the pieces of your life after a diagnosis of cancer, dealing with physical or emotional loss, or simply asking yourself the question, “What Now?”, you may have reached a crossroads in your life. At A Fresh Chapter, we love to connect our community to resources to help you on the road to writing the next part of your story. If you are looking for a little inspiration to start fresh, check out the links below.
Insight From Some of the World’s Freshest Thinkers
- India Arie and the Song She Wrote For Us – If you need a reminder to push through the challenges, check out ‘Break The Shell’ by India Arie for a little inspiration.
- How A TED Talk About Vulnerability Sparked A Girl Crush – This Brene Brown TED Talk helps us see how vulnerability is the birthplace of connection. When we can allow ourselves to be seen, everything starts to shift.
- Jonathan Fields: Paving The Way Into An Uncertain Future – Jonathan breaks down uncertainty and gives us some tangible strategies for managing the ambiguity in our lives.
- Starting Fresh With Pasha Hogan – How an Epiphany at a U2 Concert Helped Her Leave Her Old Life Behind – The moments that change our lives can happen in the most unlikely of places. This podcast explores how it took the third diagnosis of cancer for Pasha to let go of who she thought she was and step into the future that was waiting for her.
- Martha Beck & How 3 Words Can Change Your Life – By flipping goal setting on its head, Martha Beck gives us real strategies for focusing on how we want to feel instead of only what we want to achieve.
Lessons Learned On Terri’s Fresh Chapter Journey
- On Practicing Gratitude When You Least Want To – I am about to storm out of Staples when I remember the little black book in my hand. I have to laugh at the irony. I am buying a gratitude journal on a day when I am feeling 0% grateful.
- Redefining Balance & The Illusion of Having It All – Maybe we’re all wired differently and we need to step beyond society’s expectations – and the pressure we put on ourselves – to decide what a balanced life means to us.
- The 3 Life-Changing Lessons I Never Expected To Learn – On how three little words changed everything and opened me up to possibility and purpose in a brand new way.
- The Person I Swore I’d Never Go Back To – On how lessons are not light switches and epiphanies are not partial lobotomies. Learning to let more EASE into my life.
- It’s Not Life or Death – Lessons on Learning the Chill the F*&% Out – On preparing to give the talk of my life and on realizing that even cancer couldn’t cure me of my perfectionistic ways.
- The Person Who Rekindled My Flame – Sometimes on this road to chasing big dreams, our spark can go out and we need someone to come along and rekindle the flame.
- Our Spot on ABC News & Why Done Is Better Than Perfect – Over the last two years of dream chasing and foundation building, here is what I’ve learned: No matter how shiny things look from the outside, nothing is perfect. So, go do the thing you feel you’re meant to do.
- Looking Back Before Starting Over – Notes From The Road in California – Most goal setting theories or self help books tell you to “let go of the past” and “step into the future”. But, what if you could pause for just a moment before you do that. Read why pausing & looking back is important to stepping forward.
- Morning Pages & How 20 Minutes Can Change Everything – Inspired by Julia Cameron’s, “The Artist’s Way”, a 20 minute daily habit has helped create the blueprint for one audacious adventure after another.
If You Have Big Dreams of Writing A Book
- Naked, Drunk, and Writing by Adair Lara
- The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante
- The Power of Memoir by Linda Joy Meyers
- Writing Life Stories by Bill Roorbach
- The Right to Write by Julia Cameron
- A Writer’s Guide to Fiction by Elizabeth Lyon
- Non-Fiction Book Proposals Anyone Can Write by Elizabeth Lyon
When You Need Perspective
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo
- Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Dr. Brene Brown
- Broken Open by Elizabeth Lesser
- A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau
To Help You Live a Healthier Life
- Picking Up the Pieces by Dr. Sherri McGee & Kathy Scalzo
- Anti Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber
- Crazy Sexy Cancer by Kris Carr
- The Journey by Brandon Bays
- Peace Love & Healing by Bernie S. Siegel
Do you or your loved ones need some resources to assist you in your experience with cancer? Our External Resources page lists a variety of other organizations providing support and advice to those impacted by cancer.